Important Update from the Manse - Sunday 30 August 2020:
Re-opening of the Church Building for Worship
On behalf of Kirk Session, I am delighted to let you know that we plan to re-open the Church Building for worship only, on Sunday 6th September 2020. This has been a monumental task and thanks must go to our Resources Group who have got us to this significant stage.
I must stress, though, this will not be a return to the service format we were accustomed to before lockdown began. In accordance with the advice of the Scottish Government and the Church of Scotland, there will be no singing or reciting of the Lord’s Prayer in our Church. Our service will last around 30/35 minutes and will include a selection of readings, prayers, reflection and reflective music.
I must also ask you to take time to read the following bullet points before you decide to join us for worship within the building:
- Do not attend if you have any potential coronavirus symptoms, including persistent cough, high temperature or loss of taste or smell.
- There will be a queuing system for entry to the Church, similar to those seen outside shops. The building will be opened at 10.45 am and the service will begin at 11.15 am. Entry to the building will only be by the main door on Mansewood Road. The capacity of our building at the present time is 50, including the Minister and Welcome Team.
- Our Stewards will ask for your name and contact details, as we are instructed to participate in the NHS Test and Protect Scheme. No-one can enter the building without providing this information. Please remember our Stewarding Team is in place to help keep everyone safe.
- You must wear a face covering for the entire time you are in the building, unless you have medical exemption, and you must use the provided hand-sanitiser when you arrive.
- Please remember to maintain 2 metres physical distancing at all times.
- You will be directed to a seat by one of our Stewards. Please remain in that seat for the duration of your time in the building. All other areas, including toilet facilities, will be out of bounds until further notice.
- At the end of the service, Stewards will oversee the leaving of the building. There will be no tea and coffee served and we would ask that you do not linger in the vestibule.
- We want to thank everyone who has moved to giving to the Church by Standing Order or other electronic means and would politely ask that you would continue doing so. If you are not able to do this, however, there will be an offerings plate available as you enter the building.
For those who are shielding, or have health concerns, please remember that you should be sensible about whether or not you should attend. There is no compulsion to attend if you are nervous about doing so and we would actively encourage you not to attend if you have concern
With this last the preceding paragraph in mind, we will be continuing to provide worship on Zoom. Please note that the new start time for Zoom services will be 9.30 am. Again, this will be a 30/35 minute service. Furthermore, each Sunday, we hope to provide a virtual coffee time, again on Zoom, at 12.15 pm for an hour. For those who are unable to join us at either Sunday service, we will still be providing videos on YouTube, Facebook and our own website each Sunday. For those who prefer to read, a written script will be made available on our website and Facebook pages.
I look forward to welcoming you back to worship. Should you have any queries regarding this letter, please do not hesitate to contact myself, Alistair Dobbie or Erika Watt.
Your friend and minister,
Greetings from Eastwood Parish Church of Scotland, located at the foot of Mansewood Road, where it meets Thornliebank Road, in the south-side of Glasgow. Our church building is just a short way up the hill behind the halls. We worship every Sunday at 11.15am.
We are a committed, hardworking, friendly and lively church family where everyone is valued and made welcome. We strive to be a major part of the immediate community life around the parish of Eastwood and aim to serve both young and old. Everyone is welcome at our clubs and activities. Please feel free to join us, you do not need to be a church member, just come along any time or contact us if you require more information. We can offer a worship space where everyone can feel valued and welcome.
We would be delighted to welcome you and yours to any of our services and activities at Eastwood.
Watch our new video blog below
Today's service is led by the Rev. Nigel Chikanya.
You can watch our other videos HERE
Eastwood Parish News
We know that lockdown has been hard on many people. If you're not feeling quite yourself, SAMH has lots of good things on their website about looking after yourself during the Covid-19 outbreak.
The Help Hub has also been set up to help anyone who is struggling emotionally at this time. They are a group of over 800 professional trained therapists and counsellors who aim to provide a free therapy and counselling service for as many people as possible. Go to www.thehelphub.co.uk to book a 20 minute appointment.
If you need to speak to someone urgently about how you're feeling, these numbers might help:
- Breathing Space - 0800 83 85 87 - are there for with low mood, depression and anxiety
- Samaritans - 116 123 (Freephone) - are there for anyone struggling to cope
- Shout - text 85258 - the UK’s first 24/7 crisis text service, free on all major mobile networks